Friday, May 20, 2011

The Little Basil that Could


Finally the rain has gone away! It rained every day this week here in Southern CT and it has kept me from tranplanting my plants and starting some others. Today the sun was out partially so I took advantage and ducked out of work early to get home. I dragged my husband to the local Home Depot and Walmart to get a few supplies. This included the soil and orange juice to mix some sangria with (you cant garden without a drink in your hand, its just not polite). So I took my overgrown starter cups and put them into Recycling bins that I "found" during a storm, now they look like tiny plants in a big garden.

I really like using the Recycling bins because they are a good depth and have holes in the bottom for and drainage and they're portable. They work very well for Tomato plants, but this is the first year im using them for herbs. I learned this trick from an old lady that I used to watch garden in stiletto heels a few years back while living in Boston. I envied her for gardening in heels, she is a true Queen in my book. Since I use more basil than any other herb I grow I put it in a decorative pot that I picked up at Christmas Tree Shops for $1.99 a few years ago. Excellent investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment