Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Urban Gardener living in the Suburbs.

I started my garden today. Since we are in the new apartment I can actually put my plants in the ground this year. Last year, when we were living in Boston I only had a 3x3 fire escape for my garden. This meant I had to put everything in pots, but this also made them portable. I was lucky because the escape got strong sun 9+ hours a day. Here is a picture of last years garden.

It was my first try at being an Urban Gardener. I was pretty sucessful, but I learned a few things along the way. I had a problem with what I thought were bugs eating my raspberry plant. Eventually, I caught a huge rat chowing down on the tomatoes. I didnt eat anything else that grew in my garden but I was proud of my accomplishment anyway.
So, this year I live in a two family house with a backyard and a small deck off our dining room. I am still going to put some of my plants in pots so that they are portable but my sunflowers will do better in the ground.
Today I started the seeds. The weather is pretty warm but still not warm enough to keep them outside permanantly. I set up a table (or storage bin) in my office because its warm. Im still an Urban Gardener, even though I live in the suburbs. Yay spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment